Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Rigatoni with Beef and Eggplant Ragu

...It's what's for dinner tonight

This recipe was brought to my attention by my mother in law. She found it on the Cooking.com website. I planted eggplant in my garden this year and needed some new recipes. She promises to bring me the eggplant hummus recipe next time.

Rigatoni with Beef and Eggplant Ragu

  • 8 oz whole wheat rigatoni or penne ( I did not use whole wheat)
  • 1/2 pound lean ground beef (I used veal, beef and pork mixture)
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
  • 3 cups diced eggplant ( I used 1 med eggplant about 4 cups)
  • 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
  • 1 cup red wine ( I did not have, so I subbed red wine vinegar and water)
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoon pine nuts (I omitted)
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta (optional)
Tip:  To toast pine nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2-4 minutes.

Directions

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, cook beef, garlic and fennel seed in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, until the beef is browned, about 3 minutes.  Add eggplant and oil, cook stirring occasionally until the eggplant browns, about 5 minutes.  Add tomato sauce and wine; cook , stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.  Stir in oregano, salt and pepper.

Drain the pasta, serve topped with the sauce and sprinkled with pine nuts and feta, if using.


No comments:

Post a Comment